[Update: Must hook up Bluetooth BlueSMiRF directly to Arduino, using female/male headers, and not the breadboard… was causing all the connection/reading serial problems]
So after a couple hours in trying to recreate what I did a few days ago, I couldn’t get the serial to read and when I did (RX+TX) plugged in, it kept giving me an output of 0. But it was still reading, Yay!
[Update: the problem with the “0” output was having the RX on bluetooth connected! As http://www.thingswemake.com/ says the RX on BlueSMiRF was giving them problems… after it was disconnected, the ouput gave out readings!]
Basically I have to do the whole restart procedure:
- Upload code “Mindwave_Arduino_LED_UART” to Arduino Uno (Mindwave off)
- Sometimes restart Arduino, otherwise open up Serial Monitor (already set to 57600)
- Plug in connections [IMPORTANT: use only RX on Arduino to TX on bluetooth and REMOVE RX wire]
- Then, after a few seconds, turn on Mindwave to “pair” (make sure unpaired to repair)
- ***Pairing them again took a while as I had to keep restarting the Mindwave on/off*** [Arduino must be on BEFORE Mindwave is turned on!]
- Usually should connect right away… if it keeps blinking blue and Bluetooth is red, restart Mindwave OR do entire process again (in order)
- Now the RX wire when connected to Arduino should light up the TX LED on board… if not, disconnect and reconnect until the LED turns on (sending serial this way or else no output)
- Open Serial to see “Meditation” values and averages!
> however in that tutorial it says to connect TX-TX, I hooked up TX-RX (TX on bluetooth-RX on arduino)